7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
The Beginners Sewing Course is a short introductory course to learn some foundation sewing skills.
- How to use a sewing machine safely and confidently
- How to wind bobbins and how to thread a sewing machine
- Understand the importance of correct thread tension
- How to sew perfect straight lines, smooth curves and turn corners
- Learn three different seam types and when to use them
- How to take up a hem
- Make machined buttonholes and how to sew in a zip
- Your choice of easy sewing projects. Choose to make either a lined reversible tote bag, I-pad/tablet cover, or zipped make-up bag, (You will need to bring your own fabric for your project – I’ll provide details when you book)
This Beginners Sewing Course is a good starting point to learn expert sewing techniques whether you want to progress into dressmaking, soft furnishing or craft projects. It’s also a great refresher if you’ve not sewn for a while. You’ll learn how to understand sewing machines, get experience of using different stitch types, learning about stitch lengths, widths and tensions. I’ll explain what the different presser feet are for and you’ll learn how to measure and cut fabric.
I’ve been sewing since I was a child and that’s a lot of years experience. During that time, I’ve made every mistake in the book. Now you can benefit from my mistakes and learn to sew like a pro as I share my expert tips. I wish I’d known all this stuff when I started to sew.
Sewing machines are provided or you can bring your own if you have one. If you are considering buying one, then I’m happy to give advice on what to look for. I recommend Pembertons, the specialist sewing machine dealer.
My blog pages contain lots of informative articles about stuff you need to know when you start sewing. Why not spend a few minutes swotting up? Here’s a couple of links to get you started.
Duration: 8 hours (2 hours per week for 4 weeks)
Level: Beginners (or as a refresher if you haven’t sewn for a while)
Studio 6.03A St Margaret's House, 151 London Road
This event is fully booked.