The Beginners sewing course is a short introduction to foundation sewing skills.
Level:Introductory/ Beginners (if you’ve not sewn before) or if you’re fairly new to sewing. Also great as a refresher if you haven’t sewn for a while and are a bit rusty.
When can I book?
Thursday 04/06/2020 - Thursday 25/06/2020 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm costing:£80.00
Course descriptionThis Beginners sewing course will teach you expert sewing techniques whether you want to progress into dressmaking, soft furnishing or craft projects. You’ll learn how to understand sewing machines, get experience of using different stitch types, learning about stitch lengths, widths and tensions. I’ll explain what the different presser feet are for and you’ll learn how to measure and cut fabric. I learned to sew as a child and since then, I’ve made every mistake in the book. So fast-track your sewing journey as you benefit from my mistakes and learn to sew like a pro as I share my expert tips. I wish I’d known all this stuff when I started to sew. This course duration is 8 hours so it runs as either a 4-week evening class, or sometimes over a weekend (Friday 7-9pm and Saturday 10am-5pm). Please check the individual event dates/times below for details. The cost is the same. Artisan Stitch won a certificate of Excellence in January 2019 and is rated ‘Best sewing classes in Edinburgh’
Who is this aimed at?Absolute Beginners (if you’ve never used a sewing machine) Novice sewists (if you’ve just recently learned but would like to know a bit more) Lapsed Sewists (as a refresher if you’ve not sewn for a while and are a bit rusty).
What will I learn?
- How to use a sewing machine safely and confidently
- How to wind bobbins and how to thread a sewing machine
- Understand the mysteries of correct thread tension
- How to sew perfect straight lines, smooth curves and turn corners
- Learn three different seam types and when to use them
- How to take up a hem
- Make machined buttonholes and how to sew in a zip
- Make a lovely craft project to gain experience measuring, cutting and sewing fabric.
- a lined reversible tote bag,
- I-pad/tablet cover,
- or a zipped make-up bag,