6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Prices : £0.00
Book Now »
Free-motion Embroidery online
Free-motion embroidery online is a fun workshop to learn a useful textile skill. Free-motion embroidery, sometimes called ‘free-machine embroidery’ or free-machining can be used in quilting, card-making, and applique. It can also be applied to decorate clothing, bags, cushions and used in many other textile art and craft techniques. So if you’re wondering where to start with creative textiles, then I recommend you take this workshop and find out why Kirstie Allsopp calls free-motion embroidery the ‘crack-cocaine of craft’!
Who is Free-motion embroidery aimed at?
Quilters, would-be textile artists, dressmakers or crafters looking for something a bit different! You can also use FME in card-making, to decorate clothing, cushions and bags.
Level: Improvers onwards (Basic sewing machine experience required – you must be able to wind bobbins and thread the machine)
What will I learn?
This workshop aims to teach you the basic techniques of FME:
- setting up the machine
- guiding the needle to draw with thread
- common free-hand embroidery patterns including useful quilting designs.
- how to obtain a variety of patterns and texture effects
- use of fabric stabilisers
You will need:
- a sewing machine with the feed dogs lowered or covered,
- a darning foot suitable for your make and model of machine,
- an 8 or 9″ embroidery hoop,
- 2 or 3 pieces of plain-coloured cotton fabric such as calico, approximately 12″ square (30cm)
- all-purpose polyester sewing thread in 2 or 3 colours
- hand embroidery floss, fine cotton perle crochet cotton (No 5), or fine knitting yarn
- bobbins ready-wound with the polyester thread, and one bobbin wound with hand embroidery floss or crochet cotton. Use only bobbins specific to your make and model of machine
- small embroidery scissors or thread snips.
If you’d like to know how you can use free-motion embroidery, then take a look at some of my other creative textiles arts courses.
Artisan Stitch holds a Certificate of Excellence and is rated Best Sewing classes in Edinburgh. Winner of a UK Enterprise award for Best Sewing Classes 2020. The only course provider in Edinburgh and one of only two in Scotland who is recommended by Queen Margaret University.
If you’re interested in learning more about textiles, then why not join the Embroiderers’ Guild?
Bookings are closed for this event.