Date(s) - 11/05/2018 - 12/05/2018
7:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The Beginners Sewing Course Weekend is a short introductory course to learn some foundation sewing skills. It’s also an excellent refresher to brush up your existing sewing skills.
- How to use a sewing machine safely and confidently
- How to wind bobbins and how to thread a sewing machine
- Understand the importance of correct thread tension
- How to sew perfect straight lines, smooth curves and turn corners
- Learn three different seam types and when to use them
- How to finish the edges, and why you should
- How to take up a hem
- Make machined buttonholes and how to sew in a zip
- Your choice of easy sewing projects. Make your choice of a reversible tote bag, I-pad/tablet cover, or zipped make-up bag, (You will need to bring your own fabric for your project – I’ll provide details when you book)
The Beginners Sewing Course Weekend is a good starting point to learn expert sewing techniques whether you want to progress into dressmaking, soft furnishing or craft projects. It’s also a great refresher if you’ve not sewn for a while.
I’ve been sewing since I was 7 years old (and that’s a long time!) In that time, I’ve made every mistake in the book. Now you can benefit from my mistakes and learn to sew like a pro in just one weekend as I share my expert tips. I wish I’d known all this stuff when I was learning to sew.
Sewing machines are provided or you can bring your own if you have one. If you are considering buying one, then I’m happy to give advice on what to look for. I recommend Pembertons, the specialist sewing machine dealer.
My blog contains many articles written about stuff you need to know when you learn to sew so why not spend a few minutes browsing. Here are a couple of links to get you started:
Level: Beginners (or as a refresher if you haven’t sewn for a while)
Duration: 8 hours (Friday evening 7pm-9pm & Saturday 10am-5pm)
Studio 6.03A St Margaret's House, 151 London Road Edinburgh
Bookings are closed for this event.